Monday, April 27, 2009

April Garden

I have turned into the giant nerd I never thought I would become. A giant gardening nerd. And, to be honest, I totally love it. 
We moved into our house a little over a year ago at the very end of winter when there was nothing in the yard. We always talk about how lucky we are that we were able to get the house when we did because we surely would have had to paid more for it had we seen it in spring or summer. It turns out that that a beautiful garden was hiding with flowering trees and perennials so carefully planned out so that no matter what time of the season it is there is always some thing blooming. The first spring in the house was super exciting, seeing what came up. This year I am no less excited knowing what's to come.
So I have decided to take  a picture of the back garden once a week so that I can have a record of how it grows. See? Nerdy. 
Anyway, here is series one- April 2009:

April 6
What's blooming: nothing. I stuck some pansies in the ground to give the yard some color
What's coming up: hyacinths



April 13
(I am still trying to figure out the best time of day to take the picture. This one is a dud because of the giant shadow of the house but I thought I'd include it anyway)
What's blooming: hyacinths
What's coming up: Forsythia


April 20
What's blooming: hyacinth, forsythia, also I planted some daffodils
What's coming up: Weeping Cherry, some tulips (although the tulips suck this year for the most part)


April 27
What's blooming: Forsythia, Weeping Cherry, daffodils, some tulips 
Also the star magnolia and cherry tree in the front yard, violets in the side
What's coming up: more tulips, Solomon's seal, lily of the valley
Also, dogwood in the front, lilacs and peonies (not for a while, but I do see the first buds)


Also blooming now: Tons of dandelions. I am trying not to be annoyed by them because I understand there are many bigger problems in the world. They just look so trashy but I care much more about the garden than I do the lawn. Oh well.

Additionally... today is my birthday. Jesse and I went to see Spring Awakening on Friday night which I loved, then took some nice walks this weekend and ate a lot of food with family. Today I'm getting a mani-pedi with my mom and going to another garden store. Life is pretty good!

2 comments:

Jill said...

Dear Ashley,

Your last post was now over 3 months ago.

Enquiring minds want to know! How is the garden now that we've had some sun?

:)

Jill said...

P.S. The word verification to leave that comment was

"SYLUT"

which I think is hysterical. That is all!